Sunday, November 14, 2010

Testing for Thanksgiving: Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Squash, and Cranberries

While I'm planning to recreate some of the "classics" for our Thanksgiving dinner, I wanted something new and delicious that celebrates my new attitude and appreciation toward food.  This dish has two vegetables I used to avoid like the plague:  brussels sprouts and squash.  Will you also be shocked to know that I don't know that I've ever had fresh cranberries (my only exposure has been the canned cranberry jelly)?  Finally, I used duck fat that I rendered myself.  I never imagined that I'd ever eat duck fat, let alone render it myself:)  This got two thumbs up from the husband.  I think I could have eaten one entire pan myself!  Also, I was worried that the cranberries would be too sour without any sugar, but they mellow a lot in the baking process, are tempered by the sweet squash, and provide just a little bit of tartness to the dish.

Ingredients:
  • 1 butternut squash
  • 1 pound fresh brussels sprouts
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
  • 2/3 to 1 cup duck fat (melted) (or other available fat of your choice -- I think chicken fat would be good as well)
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
 Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
  2. Prepare the veggies.  Remove skin, membrane, and seeds (reserve for future use) from squash.  Cut squash into cubes.  Trim and halve brussels sprouts.
  3. Combine squash, sprouts, and cranberries in a large baking dish (I split it into two since I don't have a really large pan).  Sprinkle salt on top and then add duck fat.  Stir to combine.
  4. Place baking dish in the oven for about 25 minutes or until the veggies are beginning to brown, stirring once or twice.
  5. After 25 minutes or so, reduce heat to 350 degrees F and cook another 25-30 minutes until the veggies (especially the brussels sprouts) are cooked to desired tenderness.
  6. Serve and devour.

2 comments:

  1. Oh. My. If I weren't already making butternut squash and cranberries in other dishes, I would SO be making this on Turkey Day. As it is, I will make it some other time - it sounds WONDERFUL.

    Jan from the Sushi Bar

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds absolutely wonderful! And that's a great picture!

    ReplyDelete