I started out intending to make a pie. But, I got a little careless with the crust and it turned out more like a crumble. I'm sure you could make a pie with no problem:) In either case, it turned out fantastic -- sweet & tart, with a nice buttery crunch.
- 1 1/2 cups soaked macadamia nuts
- 4 Tbs ghee (or coconut oil)
- 1 1/4 cup coconut milk (get the kind with no added "junk")
- 1/2 cup frozen apple juice concentrate (get the kind with no added sugar -- 100% apple juice)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh cranberries (I used 1/2 cup)
- 4-5 small/medium apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor, blend nuts until they make a meal or flour consistency.
- Mix with ghee (or coconut oil) and mash into the bottom of a pie plate.
- Bake for about 10 minutes (you want the nuts to brown, but not burn).
- In a saucepan large enough to fit the apple filling, combine coconut milk, apple juice concentrate, cinnamon, ginger, and cranberries. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until cranberries begin to break down.
- Add apples and coat in liquid mixture.
- Add to baked pie crust, then bake for another 30-40 minutes, watching to make sure your apples don't burn.