Sunday, December 19, 2010

Sweet & Savory Celery Root Hash

Three months ago, I didn't know what celery root was.  The first time I saw it, I didn't want anything to do with it.  Even though I've acquired a love of a lot of new veggies, including Brussels sprouts, spinach, collards, and okra, celery is still one veggie that I don't really like.  Aside from not really liking celery, I was a little, well, turned off by celery root's ugly appearance.  The first time I tried celery root was with this Ugly Duckling Salad (which is totally awesome, by the way).  Amazingly enough, after I tried it, I decided celery root is pretty good -- a lot more mild than celery -- kind of a mix between celery and potato. If you haven't given it a try, you should.  After that recipe, I got brave and decided to try my own creation.  This makes a great dinner or breakfast (I had it with over-easy eggs the next morning). 

Ingredients:
  • 4 oz prosciutto (you could sub bacon) 
  • 1/2 - 1 Tbs ghee or other fat of choice (coconut oil might be really good)
  • 1 celery root, peeled and diced
  • 1 small apple (I used a Honeycrisp), washed and diced
Directions:
  1. Start by browning prosciutto until it has begun to render its fat, but is not yet crispy (mine didn't have a lot of fat).
  2. Add ghee (if yours has sufficient fat, you can skip this step...or if you use bacon, you won't need ghee as well).
  3. Add diced celery root and cook for about 10 minutes.
  4. Add apple.
  5. Cook until prosciutto is crisp and celery root and apples are tender.
  6. Serve and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds yummy! Looks like a really good way to use celery root, I'm gonna have to try it!

    ReplyDelete