Three months ago, I didn't know what celery root was. The first time I saw it, I didn't want anything to do with it. Even though I've acquired a love of a lot of new veggies, including Brussels sprouts, spinach, collards, and okra, celery is still one veggie that I don't really like. Aside from not really liking celery, I was a little, well, turned off by celery root's ugly appearance. The first time I tried celery root was with this Ugly Duckling Salad (which is totally awesome, by the way). Amazingly enough, after I tried it, I decided celery root is pretty good -- a lot more mild than celery -- kind of a mix between celery and potato. If you haven't given it a try, you should. After that recipe, I got brave and decided to try my own creation. This makes a great dinner or breakfast (I had it with over-easy eggs the next morning).
- 4 oz prosciutto (you could sub bacon)
- 1/2 - 1 Tbs ghee or other fat of choice (coconut oil might be really good)
- 1 celery root, peeled and diced
- 1 small apple (I used a Honeycrisp), washed and diced
- Start by browning prosciutto until it has begun to render its fat, but is not yet crispy (mine didn't have a lot of fat).
- Add ghee (if yours has sufficient fat, you can skip this step...or if you use bacon, you won't need ghee as well).
- Add diced celery root and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add apple.
- Cook until prosciutto is crisp and celery root and apples are tender.
- Serve and enjoy.