This isn't really the most novel recipe for a steak rub, but it was sure good! I personally love steak any which way. Salt and pepper work just fine. But every now and then, I'm looking for something different. I saw some old Bobby Flay episode on the food network, where he was making coffee-rubbed steak, and thought how great a nice cocoa-rubbed steak would be (I use different spices than he does, but I would think that his recipe, where cocoa is subbed for the coffee, would be great as well). We don't drink coffee, you see, and so I had to move on to something we did have on hand (I know we are the 2 weirdest folks on the planet -- but there you have it).
- 1 large steak (preferably some type of grass-fed meat)
- 1-2 T coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp each: salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, and cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- Heat skillet.
- Mix spices (cocoa powder through ginger) together.
- Rub one side of the steak with coconut oil and spice mixture.
- Place in screaming hot skillet to sear. Meanwhile, but other side of steak with coconut oil and spice mixture (careful here not to burn yourself).
- Sear other side.
- Reduce heat to low and cook through under cooked to your liking.