Monday, October 11, 2010

Cocoa-Rubbed Steaks

This isn't really the most novel recipe for a steak rub, but it was sure good!  I personally love steak any which way.  Salt and pepper work just fine.  But every now and then, I'm looking for something different.  I saw some old Bobby Flay episode on the food network, where he was making coffee-rubbed steak, and thought how great a nice cocoa-rubbed steak would be (I use different spices than he does, but I would think that his recipe, where cocoa is subbed for the coffee, would be great as well).  We don't drink coffee, you see, and so I had to move on to something we did have on hand (I know we are the 2 weirdest folks on the planet -- but there you have it).

Ingredients:
  • 1 large steak (preferably some type of grass-fed meat)
  • 1-2 T coconut oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 tsp each:  salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, and cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp ground ginger

Directions:
  1. Heat skillet.
  2. Mix spices (cocoa powder through ginger) together.
  3. Rub one side of the steak with coconut oil and spice mixture.
  4. Place in screaming hot skillet to sear.  Meanwhile, but other side of steak with coconut oil and spice mixture (careful here not to burn yourself).
  5. Sear other side.
  6. Reduce heat to low and cook through under cooked to your liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment