I have a confession to make. I love, and I mean love, potatoes. I've had not problems living without bread, pasta, etc. Now potatoes...that's a different story. But the thing is, although I don't actually have a real problem with potatoes (I know - call the Paleo police!), they don't really like me. Kid you not, they go straight to my hips. So, for the most part, potatoes are out.
I think I've found a new love, however, in the form of pan-fried radishes. I'd never really thought much about the lowly radish, and truth be known, had only ever had them in a salad. Not sure what possessed me to cook them. Not that I've tried them, they've fast become a favorite. The only challenge -- they do take a bit to cook.
- 2-4 bunches radishes
- Ghee or other appropriate fat
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Wash, trim, and cube radishes. [I like mine in quarters to speed up the cooking time.]
- Heat a pot of water and par-boil radishes. [This is super-duper quick in a pressure cooker!]
- Drain radishes well.
- Meanwhile, heat ghee or other appropriate fat in large skillet.
- Add radishes, a little salt, and a little cayenne pepper. Cook until softened and browned to your liking.
- Serve warm and enjoy.