I never really used to like coleslaw. Maybe it was that I never really had good coleslaw. I have memories of limp, wilted cabbage soaked in icky jarred mayo. I don't know what possed me to give this one a try...maybe it was that I had a wonderful looking mango, two heads of cabbage (one red and one green), and some carrot in my 'fridge. This turned out great, if I do say so myself:) Sweet from the mango, sour from the coconut vinegar. Hope you enjoy as well!
- 1/4 head red cabbage
- 1/4 head green cabbage
- 1/2 large carrot
- 1 fresh mango
- 1/16 cup pecans
- 1/8 cup coconut vinegar (other vinegars would work - but if you are gluten intollerant, make sure it is a gluten-free variety)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (other oils would work here - I think coconut oil would be really good!)
- Thinly slice cabbage. Grate carrot (be careful not to grate your finger!).
- Peel and dice mango.
- Break pecans into small pieces.
- Combine cabbage, carrot, mango, and pecans in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, blend together coconut vinegar and olive oil (I used my small food processor, but I think a brisk whisking would work as well.)
- Combine dressing with salad. Stir well to combine.
- Chill at least an hour (really, this is much better chilled). Serve and enjoy.