Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Crockpot Chicken Curry (Put it Together in a Hurry!)

Seven minutes - from start to finish - that's how long it took to put this together (and that included measuring the spices so I could tell you how much to use and stirring what I had on the pot for the meal I was about to eat).  Surely you have 7 little minutes to put together a great meal?  If you want to get fancy, grate a little fresh ginger and add a few cinnamon sticks.

As always, sorry about the picture.  Not only am I a pretty bad photographer (and this is worse than usual), I think it's pretty hard to make chicken, wilted spinach, and curry sauce look good (though I know others could probably manage that feat:)).
 
Ingredients:
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 1 can diced tomatoes (I prefer no-salt added fire-roasted tomatoes - if they have green chiles, even better)
  • 4 Tbs curry powder* (I know this seems like a lot, but this is going to simmer all afternoon - it loses some heat)
  • 1 lb baby spinach (I used pre-washed - helps to make my 7 minutes) (if you don't have spinach, dump in another long-cooking veggie or skip)
  • 3 lbs bone-in, skin on chicken (use whatever you have - seriously.  and if you don't like the skin, cook with it on, then remove before you eat)
 
Directions:
  1. 1.  In a bowl, mix together coconut milk, tomatoes, and curry powder (yeah, I know, sorry for the extra dirty dish, but I like to mix the curry powder in the sauce).
  2. 2.  Pour a little sauce on the bottom of the crock pot.  Add spinach.  Add chicken on top of spinach.  Pour the rest of the sauce, making sure to cover all of the spinach (so it doesn't get all crispy).
  3. 3.  Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
  4. 4.  Serve.  I like it over mashed root veggies, spaghetti squash (throw this in the microwave while you are sorting through your mail:)), or riced cauliflower - but if you're really hungry, just skip it and eat it more like a soup.

*  Curry
  • 2 parts turmeric powder
  • 2 parts paprika powder
  • 1 part salt
  • 1 part chili powder (adjust up or down for more or less heat)
  • 1 part cayenne powder (adjust up or down for more or less heat)
  • 1 part coriander powder

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I came across your site and wasn’t able to get an email address to contact you about a broken link on your site. Please email me back and I would be happy to point them out to you.

    Hailey William
    haileyxhailey@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to work on this feature. We agree that authorising Gmail-to-Gmail mail fetching is kind of a mess right now - fixing it properly has never quite reached the top of our todo list because it's a rare use case. The right fix is for Gmail to use XOAUTH to fetch from other Gmail accounts, this would resolve the security issues that this system is preventing whilst giving a much better user experience.
    Accounts Software For Small Business
    Simran Kaur

    ReplyDelete