Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Browned Cabbage with Hot Pepper

I get a lot of questions asking what I eat for breakfast.  My usual response is: "uh, food?".  I don't know if folks think I eat small children and pets or if they just can't fathom life without milk & cereal; toast & jelly; bagels & cream cheese; etc.  After I mention the food part, I move to the basic explanation: "meat, good fat, and veggies".  That usually leads to the question: "so, what do eat"?  (I'm not kidding here.)  In response to that question, the answer for today is eggs and browned cabbage.  The cabbage (and eggs) is great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.  It come straight from A Fresh Taste of Italy, although it's so simple, I can't believe I needed a recipe:)

Ingredients:
  • 1 large head of cabbage (about 3 pounds)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 4 large cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper, or to taste
  • Kosher salt, to taste (optional)
Directions:
  1. Cut cabbage into 1-inch pieces.
  2. Heat oil, garlic, and peppers in a large pot over medium-low heat.  Cook until garlic is fragrant, but not brown.
  3. Add cabbage and stir to coat cabbage with oil.  Cover and cook, stirring often, for about 20 minutes or so.  Cabbage should be lightly browned and tender.
  4. Sprinkle lightly with salt, if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment