Let me start by saying that I think dessert should be a pretty rare occurrence -- a real treat to be savored when you do indulge. If you are trying to lose weight or cure your sugar demon, you should probably save these for another time, because sugar is sugar, regardless of the type. But when it is time to indulge, I think you'll enjoy both the taste and ease of preparation of these cookies. My family gives these two thumbs up! I love sunbutter - it reminds me of peanut butter, only it's not (it's neither a legume nor nut, so those with nut allergies may be able to tolerate sunbutter). They are adapted from a recipe by the Healthy Cooking Coach.
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup sunbutter (get the kind with no sugar - the only ingredient should be sunflower seeds)
- 1/2 cup coconut crystals (I like this brand: Coconut Secret - Raw Coconut Crystals / 4 pack)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp organic pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 cup chocolate chips (I like these ones that don't have soy (and that I can find locally): Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, Gluten, Dairy & Soy Free, 10-Ounce Bags (Pack of 12))
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix ingredients together in a bowl.
- Spoon onto a baking sheet (grease baking sheet if it is not non-stick).
- Cook about 12 minutes.
- Makes about 16 small cookies.