This recipe is adapted from a recipe by Padma Lakshmi, with a few tweaks to make it Paleo. It's quick, easy, tasty, and you probably have most (if not all) of the ingredients on hand. Can't get much better than that, can it?
- Oil or ghee
- 1 onion, diced
- 16 oz ground meat (use any mixture you have on hand; I especially like beef and pork)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 firm tomatoes, diced (you can probably sub canned here, but make sure you get one without added salt and drain the water before use)
- 1 Tbs ginger (or 1 tsp ground ginger)
- 1 Tbs curry powder, or to taste (see earlier post for recipe)
- 1 tsp minced hot green pepper (to taste; New Mexico green chiles work really well!)
- 3 cups frozen okra (other veggies would work as well, including diced asparagus, green bell peppers, etc.)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced (this is optional, but it really elevates the dish)
Heat ghee or oil over medium heat until hot. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the meat and cook until no longer pink. Add the garlic, tomatoes, ginger, curry powder, and hot peppers. Cook for a few minutes until blended together (maybe about another 5 minutes). Add frozen okra and cook about another 10 or 15 minutes. Taste and add more curry powder if needed. Squeeze in lemon juice and stir. Serve. I like this over shredded cabbage (for a really fast dinner) or riced cauliflower (cooked). You might also serve it like tacos in a large collard green or lettuce "shell".