When I was growing up, we had a lot of beef roasts. I don't really know why, but I think it was because the meat was fairly inexpensive and they didn't take a lot of on-hands cooking time (my grandma didn't really like to cook, although she always had dinner prepared for us. Love you grandma!). One of my favorite things was what she did with the leftover roast. Basically, we had "beef salad sandwiches". In other words, leftover beef, mixed with mayo, and onion, then spread on a sandwich and topped with lettuce and tomato. If we had celery, pickles, and hard-boiled eggs, we might add that to the mixture. Who knows why I liked it - certainly nothing special or fancy. Anyway, today the idea came to me when thinking about what to do with the leftover roast from yesterday. I remembered how my grandma made the beef salad, but swapped out the mayo with avocado. I also stuffed the meat mixture into a tomato and served it on spinach. You could use many different ingredients and come up with the salad that fits your palate (and what you have in the 'fridge!).
- Cooked meat, chopped (I used beef roast)
- Cayenne pepper (if I would have had a defrosted New Mexico green chile or jalapeno, I would have added that instead)
- Diced onion
- Tomatoes, insides removed (or, you could just slice the tomato on put on top of the salad)
- Spinach and/or other salad fixings
- Dice meat.
- Dice onion.
- Core tomatoes for stuffing (or slice).
- Mash avocados until they are creamy. Add cayenne pepper and diced onion. Then add meat.
- Stuff avocados with meat mixture. Serve on a bed of spinach.